Our Unique Experience
Centamin's Sukari Gold Mine is the only operating gold mine in Egypt. We have been in country since 1995, when we began exploring the Sukari tenement area, and in that time we have established a broad network of contacts.
Investing in People and Ounces
We have built a strong management team and have invested heavily in the training and development of our Egyptian employees. 95 per cent of Centamin's employees at Sukari are Egyptian and just the remaining 5 per cent are expatriates.
Since 2000, our resources have grown by more than 11 times from 0.7 million ounces Measured and Indicated and 0.6 million ounces Inferred to 13.13 million ounces Measured and Indicated and 2.3 million ounces Inferred today.
Other companies have since begun exploring in Egypt, but Sukari remains the only gold mine in production.
The New West Africa?
The Arabian-Nubian Shield, which includes the countries of Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan and Saudi Arabia, is highly mineralised. It is widely viewed as an upcoming gold region, in the same way that West Africa was ten years ago, leading some investors to nickname it "the new West Africa".
The region currently contains resources of over 20 million ounces resources, and 15.5 million ounces (Measured, Indicated and Inferred) of those are from Sukari. Our operating experience in Egypt gives us significant first-mover advantage in acquiring and developing other gold projects in the prospective Arabian-Nubian shield and beyond.